World Information Architecture Day is a one-day annual celebration hosted by the Information Architecture Institute and held in dozens of locations across the world. This community of like-minded professionals and enthusiasts share the common goal of teaching, learning, and shaping the future of...
Have you heard? We're Rebuilding IAI!
Our site's a mess. Take a look around. It's scary.
But, we have a plan!
We have this crazy idea. The audacious goal of having all of our technology on one platform. Everything talking to everything else. Websites and applications living together. We want to create a community of volunteers to build it, own it and fix it if it breaks. And we want it to be a mechanism for teaching and learning. Did I say it was audacious?
We think we can do it, and here's why: it's already been done. The Drupal Association provides an excellent model of a community committed to the creation and growth of a product as well as the education and growth of its membership.
They are open, transparent and volunteer-based. They have a huge membership. We think we can leverage their product and find inspiration in their success as an organization.
Here's what we're thinking:
- Build on Drupal - there are modules for most everything we need to do, like providing a library of IA resources (and translations and WIAD talks!), pairing mentors with learners, supporting local groups and even fielding the Salary Survey.
- Use a spiral SDLC - plan the big picture, the content and digital strategy, the iterations and the modules at a high level.
- Create a repeatable process for migrating content and functionality from the current site and applications to the new platform one section at a time. For each section, we'll make a detailed set of requirements, wireframes, etc., build it, review and learn from each repetition.
- We'll post all documents, discussions, and reviews on GitHub for public viewing and comment. This will be a learning project for everyone involved.
- We'll welcome contributions from the entire community, Prague to Pune to Portland. Whether you can commit for the full project, a few iterations, or just a quick comment on wireframes, we encourage your participation.
We hope you'll be interested in our digital barn-raising experiment because we can't do it without you. You have skills? We have a need. You want to learn something new? We have mentors. IAI has been the home of the IA community for many years, providing resources, education, collaboration, and we're ready to step up our game.
Are you in? Awesome! Volunteer!
On May 12 at ENS de Lyon (France) will run the first French conference about ethics in the design practice. The Designers Éthiques collective, students of ENS de Lyon, and the FLUPA association have the pleasure to invite you to this day - sponsored by the...
Register today for an evening with New York Times bestselling author Rob Bell and current IA Institute President Dan Klyn, who'll each present a teaching and together lead audience Q&A on what it means (and some of what it takes) to make things be...