IAC is a leading information architecture conference where information architects, UX designers, content strategists, taxonomists and...
Call for paper proposals [IAI Research Grant 2012 / 2013]
The Information Architecture Institute (IAI) is calling for research proposal submissions for a USD $3000 grant, by the 15th of April 2012.
Topic & content
Applications should propose work that will forward the theory and practice of information architecture. This can include original research, a synthesis of existing research, the development of a new technique, method or tool, or something that could otherwise support the IA community of practice.
A successful grant project could:
- help solve a particular problem or challenge for IA practice or theory
- illuminate or explain an otherwise unclear or overlooked issue
- improve an existing approach, with verified results
- create helpful connections and syntheses between IA and one or more other disciplines
The IAI is looking for Journal-ready research papers as an output. Our aim is to use the grant to directly contribute to the body of scholarly knowledge we are creating for our community of practice and the development of the discipline.
The proposal should provide:
- Description of the problem or hypothesis
- Methodology to be used
- Explanation of how the resulting work will benefit the theory or practice of IA
- Conditions under which others can use the results (e.g. Creative Commons license)
The application package should include:
a) a cover letter, stating:
b) the proposal itself:
c) a preliminary budget showing how the project funds would be spent.
Grant applications should be emailed by April 15, 2012 to email@example.com.
For more information about the selection criteria and process, distribution and publication, eligibility and the award jury please visit http://iainstitute.org/en/members/grants/research_grant_details.php
Questions can be directed to the jury chair, Jason Hobbs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 15th of April 2012: Submission deadline
- 15th of May 2012: Grant recipient to be announced
- 15th of May 2012: First half of grant awarded
- 14th of September 2012: First board progress review
- 15th of January 2013: Second board progress review
- 15th of February 2013: Submission of final research paper and last half of grant award
- The Information Architecture Institute Grant Jury is the sole jury for this award. Grant jury members are not eligible to apply for the award themselves.
- In the case of no acceptable applicants or ineligible applicants, the awards may not be granted.
- No more than one application may be submitted per person (including multi-authored submissions).
- The Information Architecture Institute reserves non-exclusive rights over the awarded research paper and may use the paper in any capacity in the future
- The Journal of Information Architecture will be provided with the first right to publish completed papers
About the IAI
The Information Architecture Institute is a 501(c)6 professional organization, operated by a multi-national group of people who are dedicated to promoting the concept, craft and community of information architecture.
We live in exciting times. As the information age rolls forward, our businesses, markets and societies are being transformed into adaptive, connected networks. The Internet of today only hints at the ubiquitous communication infrastructure of tomorrow. The construction of this brave new world requires a new kind of architecture, focused on digital structures of information and software rather than physical structures of bricks and mortar. As we spend more time working and playing in these shared information spaces, people will need and demand better search, navigation and collaboration systems.
Volunteering our own resources, we aspire to collaborate within our community and build bridges to related disciplines and organizations. We invite you to join us in advancing the state of information architecture through research, education, advocacy and community service.
Sent via email to all active members (and those 30 days past due).
As promised, we are writing today to announce our decision about the future of the IA Institute.
Before we get there, we would like to thank you. The support we have received over the last 17...
All funds will support World IA Day 2019 worldwide organizations
Buy this great shirt to support Wear your support for World Information Architecture Day 2019 and its theme Design for a Difference . As designers, we are responsible for creating worlds of experiences, environments,...