IAC is a leading information architecture conference where information architects, UX designers, content strategists, taxonomists and...
IDEA 2008 Volunteers
IDEA 2008 is coming to downtown Chicago in October 2008. We're looking for IAI members and potential members to get involved with conference planning from website to marketing, sponsors to get-togethers. It's a great opportunity for networking and community building. Check out your role today!Volunteer Opportunities
IDEA 2008 is coming to Chicago October 6-8, 2008. The beautiful Harold Washington Library will host this year’s conference on designing complex information spaces of all kinds. With Chicago’s historic architecture to inspire, innovative designers will come together and face the challenges of design in the physical and virtual worlds.
Be a part of this incredible event as a volunteer. An especially great opportunity for Chicagoland locals as well as those in all parts of the digital world, we have volunteer roles to fit every skill set and schedule. Plus it’s a great networking and portfolio building experiences for those who join the team (and free registration.)
To apply, please send resume outlining similar experience and paragraph about why you fit the role. Please note your location and availability in September-October 2008. Mail this to volunteer AT iainstitute DOT org with “IDEA 2008” in the subject.
1. Event Coordinator - Primary point person for making sure all the pieces come together for an event. Responsibilities include:
- Assist Programming Director (Jorge Arango ) in communicating and finalizing conference program.
- Act as project manager for event schedule and tasks, coordinating with multiple leads to reach goals on time.
- Track activities and budgets.
- Act as Primary contact for other volunteers as they are assigned, overseeing communications and milestones.
Experience with event coordination, project management and people skills a must. Role will require more time commitment closer to event.
2. Speaker Coordinator - Supports both web building and event activities for speakers
- Assist Programming Director (Jorge Arango ) in communicating and finalizing details with speakers
- Prepare speaker biographies for website
- Assist speakers with travel arrangements
- Collect speaker materials (slides, handouts, administrative needs) for event
Time commitment: approx 1-2 hours/week average including few weeks following conference to post key information on website for future awareness building.
3. Sponsorship Coordinator
- Work closely with IAI Marketing Director (Sarah Rice) to oversee suite of sponsorship opportunities
- Identify and contact potential sponsors
- Work with sponsors to coordinate event presence, materials, and events
- Collaborate with to respond to sponsor and event needs
Skills in sales or persuasion are very helpful for such a task. Ease in communicating effectively by phone and email are imperative. Time commitment: approx 1-2 hours/week average.
4. Marketing Coordinator
- Coordinate all marketing operations for IDEA 2008: cross-promotions, calendar and blog listings, email lists, online advertising, etc.
- Oversee IDEA presence on website and IAI website
- Collaborate with IAI Marketing Director on marketing schedule and venues (Sarah Rice)
Previous experience in marketing or advertising needed. Knowledge of IA, UX, design, and other related blogs, websites, and resources very helpful. Time commitment: approx 1-2 hours/week average.
5. Website Team Members
- Work with website coordinator to build informative, up to date event home site
- Create graphics, links, and resources for website
- Update content such as announcements, speaker biographies, registration, and venue information
- Post-conference uploads of recorded sessions, slides, and materials.
HTML and css skills required. Time commitment: approx 1-2 hours/week average.
Volunteer positions to come - Contact volunteer AT iainstitute DOT org if you are interested in these roles occurring closer to the date.
- Venue coordinator (Day of Stage Director, act as liaison between groups, A/V, recording of conference)
- Hotel coordinator (Identify great area hotels for website, find great deals)
- Registration Coordinator (Assist with organizing registration, prepare and print registration materials)
- Materials Coordinator (organize and print speaker and promotional materials needed for event)
- Lunch Coordinator – identify restaurants in the area that could accommodate lunch crowd of 10-12 people and make reservations, create map of lunch locations, gather sample menus to have on hand to help attendees decide where they want to eat.
- Choose Your Own Adventure – Do you have a skill or service you’d like to contribute? Tell us what you can do for IDEA 2008
Write to volunteer AT iainstitute DOT org with IDEA in the subject to join the team, ask a question, or make a suggestion.
Sent via email to all active members (and those 30 days past due).
As promised, we are writing today to announce our decision about the future of the IA Institute.
Before we get there, we would like to thank you. The support we have received over the last 17...
All funds will support World IA Day 2019 worldwide organizations
Buy this great shirt to support Wear your support for World Information Architecture Day 2019 and its theme Design for a Difference . As designers, we are responsible for creating worlds of experiences, environments,...